Confessions Of A Beginning Blogger: Learned The Hard WayApril 25, 2015
Why Do I Write About Weight?April 30, 2015
The higher the temperatures rise, the shorter our pants often become. And with over 40 fashion, a lot of women choose cropped pants or capris over shorts as their go-to warm weather, everyday style basics.
While cropped pants do offer a nice alternative to the heat, it is important to consider proportion and cut if you want them to flatter your figure.
The problem with cropped pants is that they typically add width to the legs and cause them to look shorter. Ladies, those are the two words that we want to stay away from if at all possible: wide and short!
So, am I saying you should go out and throw away all of your cropped pants? No. But, I do have a few suggestions for choosing a more figure-flattering silhouette.
When shopping for cropped pants:
- Look for pant legs that are slightly tapered or straight at the bottom, rather than those that flare out in a bell shape.
- Stay away from styles that are wide at the bottom.
- Try to find pants that end at the narrowest part of your leg.
You can also consider making alterations to your cropped pants. I usually take this route because it can be difficult to find styles that are figure flattering. If sewing is anywhere in your wheelhouse, consider doing the alterations yourself.
Here are the steps for making your own alterations:
- Open up the bottom seam wide enough to pin the side seams together.
- Use a yard stick and a pencil to mark a new seam line from several inches above the knee to the new narrower point.
- Sew a simple straight seam down the side.
- Cut the extra material away from the seam and zigzag the cut edge.
- Refold the bottom seam and sew into place.
If you need more instruction, there are several Youtube tutorials online. I hope you will try these fashion tips for over 40 style and look fabulous in the process!